Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Ch-ch-ch CHIA!

The 80s were stellar! I couldn't resist!
Did you have a chia pet?
If you did, I bet you were born in the 80s!
It is items like this that show my age. I tell the girls at my church I am 74 1/2 plus 2 weeks. I can't stand to think I am nearly twice their age (more than twice some of their ages). Where, oh where, has the time gone?

So, back to the future folks! Along with my morning coffee (which is currently this Fall version), I have been finishing off a bag of chia seeds my good friend brought with her to our home during her last visit before leaving for China!
Anna on the right, Blaze's God-mother; my very best friend sister!
Apparently, chia seeds are quite healthy. Did you know that one tablespoon of chia seeds contains the following?

  • Fiber - 5 grams
  • Total Fat - 3 grams
  • Omega-3 Fatty Acids (Alpha Linolenic Acid) - 2.9 grams
  • Monounsaturated Fatty Acids - 0.31
  • Saturated Fatty Acids - 0.41 grams
  • Calcium - 92 milligrams
  • Magnesium - 44 milligrams
  • Iron - 1 milligrams
  • Zinc - .75 milligrams
  • Niacin - 1.5 milligrams
  • Folate - 7 micrograms
  • Vitamin A - 7 International Units
When my chia seeds are not donated by amazing friends, I like to get mine from Amazon. This is the brand I like.

I prepare my chia breakfast pudding the night before I plan on eating it. Reminiscent of tapioca or rice pudding (I enjoy both) due to its texture, this is a great morning meal with a good kick of protein if you prepare it as I describe below.

Good Morning Chia Pudding

  • 1c organic milk (you can sub any type of milk - coconut, almond, rice)
  • 1t organic or homemade vanilla
Place all ingredients in a bowl. Mix well. Put in the refrigerator overnight (or at least 2 hours). Enjoy!

You can add in any of the following:
  • Dried cranberries
  • Slivered almonds
  • Macadamia nuts
  • Pumpkin seeds
  • Sunflower seeds
  • Pumpkin puree
  • Shredded coconut
  • Bananas
In my bowl this morning! Just delicious!


Mocha Chia Pudding


  • ½c brewed coffee (chilled)
  • ½c organic milk (again, any type works)
  • 1T organic almond butter (or other nut or seed butter)
  • 1t organic or homemade vanilla
  • 1T gelatin
  • 2-3T grade B maple syrup
  • 1T unsweetened cacao or cocoa powder
  • ¼c chia seeds
Blend all of your ingredients EXCEPT THE CHIA SEEDS in your blender or food processor until well incorporated. Pour the mixture over your chia seeds. Refrigerate 1-2 hours before eating (I let mine sit overnight).

I hope you enjoy this delightful breakfast treat as much as I do. It is definitely my go to breakfast at the moment. 

No comments:

Post a Comment